How do I uninstall Java on my Mac? This article applies to: Platform(s): macOS macOS Users: Improve the security of your computer by checking for an out-of-date version of Java and removing it by using the Java Uninstall Tool. » Learn more about the Java Uninstall tool. Uninstall Oracle Java using the Terminal.
See JDK 7 and JRE 7 Installation Guide for general information about installing JDK 7 and JRE 7.
See the Mac OS X Platform Install FAQ for general information about installing JRE 7 on Mac OS X.
- Any Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.7.3 (Lion) or later.
- Administrator privileges.
Note that installing the JRE on a Mac is performed on a system wide basis, for all users, and administrator privileges are required. You cannot install Java for a single user.Only one JRE can be installed at a time. The system will not install a JRE that has a lower version than the current version. If you wish to install a lower version of the JRE, first uninstall the current version. Installing a JRE from Oracle will not update java -version symlinks or add java to your path. To be able to do this, you need to install the JDK.
JRE 7 Installation Instructions
The JRE installation includes the JavaFX Runtime which is incorporated into the same directory structure.
Installation of the 64-bit JRE on Mac Platforms
Depending on your processor, the downloaded file has one of the following names:
Where <version> is 6 or later.
1. Download the file. Before the file can be downloaded, you must accept the license agreement.
2. From either the Downloads window of the browser, or from the file browser, double click the .dmg file to launch it.
3. A Finder window appears containing an icon of an open box and the name of the .pkg file Double click the package icon to launch the Install app.
4. The Install app displays the Introduction window. Click Continue.
4a. Note that, in some cases, a Destination Select window appears. This is a bug, as there is only one option available. If you see this window, select Install for all users of this computer to enable the continue button. Click Continue.
5. The Installation Type window appears. Click Install.
6. A window appears which says 'Installer is trying to install new software. Type your password to allow this.' Enter the Administrator login and password and click Install Software.
7. The software is installed and a confirmation window appears.
After the software is installed, delete the dmg file if you want to save disk space.
Determining the Installed Version of the JREIf you have not yet installed Apple's Java Mac OS X 2012-006 update, then you are still using a version of Apple Java 6 that includes the plug-in and the Java Preferences app. See Note for Users of Macs that Include Apple Java 6 Plug-in.
Only one JRE can be installed. Installing a JRE removes the previously installed JRE. The JRE version used by the system can be determined in one of two ways:
- From System Preferences click the Java icon from the Other category. This launches the Java Control Panel. Click About...
- Type the following in a Terminal window:
The system will not install a JRE that has a lower version than the current version. If you want to install a lower version, first uninstall the existing version.
Uninstalling the JRE
To uninstall the JRE, you must have Administrator privileges and execute the remove commands either as root or by using the sudo(8) tool.
Remove one directory and one file (a symlink), as follows:
- Navigate to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and remove the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin directory.
- Navigate to /Library/PreferencePanes and remove JavaControlPanel.prefpane.
Do not attempt to uninstall Java by removing the Java tools from /usr/bin. This directory is part of the system software and any changes will be reset by Apple the next time you perform an update of the OS.